BEAR ALLEY BOOKS

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS
Click on the above pic to visit our sister site Bear Alley Books

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Cold Cuts (pun intended... sorry)

I'm laid up with a cold so no comics today. Please, no swine flu gags. I've had them all weekend.

Tomorrow, I'll post the first part of a new strip (new to Bear Alley, anyway) which will run until the end of the week in 3 and 4 episode chunks. It's an adaptation of Notre-Dame de Paris by Victor Hugo, popularly known as "The Hunchback of Notre Dame". What makes this a special treat is that it's drawn by Arthur Ranson.

Ten years before he began drawing "Anderson Psi Division" for 2000AD, during the fifteen years he worked almost exclusively for Look-In, Arthur drew a black & white adaptation of Hugo's famous novel for Look and Learn. The strip hasn't been seen since and I doubt if many fans of Arthur's work are even aware of it.

Drop by tomorrow for the first four episodes. Meanwhile, here's a taste of what's in store...

(* artwork by Arthur Ranson © Look and Learn Ltd. Reprinted by permission.)

3 comments:

ЯR [comicology] said...

Steve,

Right when I was exploring much on the hunchback stuff....

Recently, I wrote an article about the Monster series debut in India, in 80's. And had outlined a comparison between him and Hunchback figure.... here:

http://www.comicology.in/2009/04/mehta-comics-20-monster-nov-1985.html

Looking forward for your scans about the character.... :)

ÇómícólógÝ

Steve said...

Nice article, Rashid. One minor correction: the first artist for "Monster" was Heinzl -- a pen-name adopted by Italian artist and agent Alberto Giolitti. Jesus Redondo was a Spanish artist who took over the strip from its second issue. I believe the Rick Clark pen-name was, in this instance, used by John Wagner and Alan Grant in collaboration rather than by Wagner alone.

ЯR [comicology] said...

Thanks for that update, Steve. I had mentioned about the ghost artists name in the post, but couldn't find any info on their original names. With your input, I would be able to add more info to the post, with your credits. I should have contacted you first-up, which I will do for other posts at Comicology from hereon :)

I will log back here, once I make the additions in to the post.

Thanks much again.

By the way, it is Rafiq :)