Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Cold Cuts (pun intended... sorry)

I'm laid up with a cold so no comics today. Please, no swine flu gags. I've had them all weekend.

Tomorrow, I'll post the first part of a new strip (new to Bear Alley, anyway) which will run until the end of the week in 3 and 4 episode chunks. It's an adaptation of Notre-Dame de Paris by Victor Hugo, popularly known as "The Hunchback of Notre Dame". What makes this a special treat is that it's drawn by Arthur Ranson.

Ten years before he began drawing "Anderson Psi Division" for 2000AD, during the fifteen years he worked almost exclusively for Look-In, Arthur drew a black & white adaptation of Hugo's famous novel for Look and Learn. The strip hasn't been seen since and I doubt if many fans of Arthur's work are even aware of it.

Drop by tomorrow for the first four episodes. Meanwhile, here's a taste of what's in store...

(* artwork by Arthur Ranson © Look and Learn Ltd. Reprinted by permission.)

3 comments:

  1. Steve,

    Right when I was exploring much on the hunchback stuff....

    Recently, I wrote an article about the Monster series debut in India, in 80's. And had outlined a comparison between him and Hunchback figure.... here:

    http://www.comicology.in/2009/04/mehta-comics-20-monster-nov-1985.html

    Looking forward for your scans about the character.... :)

    ÇómícólógÝ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice article, Rashid. One minor correction: the first artist for "Monster" was Heinzl -- a pen-name adopted by Italian artist and agent Alberto Giolitti. Jesus Redondo was a Spanish artist who took over the strip from its second issue. I believe the Rick Clark pen-name was, in this instance, used by John Wagner and Alan Grant in collaboration rather than by Wagner alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that update, Steve. I had mentioned about the ghost artists name in the post, but couldn't find any info on their original names. With your input, I would be able to add more info to the post, with your credits. I should have contacted you first-up, which I will do for other posts at Comicology from hereon :)

    I will log back here, once I make the additions in to the post.

    Thanks much again.

    By the way, it is Rafiq :)

    ReplyDelete

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS
Click on the above pic to visit our sister site Bear Alley Books