Saturday, October 21, 2006

Daphne Going

Today's Swift Annual author is...

Daphne Going. Apart from being the author of the juvenile non-fiction title below and one anonymous contribution to Swift Annual 8 (1961) I can find nothing about her.

Lamps and Lighting, illus. Robert Hodgson. Oxford, Blackwell (Learning Library 78), 1974.

The 1974 date comes from the National Library of Scotland catalogue, although I notice that the one copy for sale on Amazon.co.uk is dated 1961 by the seller. But they list an ISBN number (0631132902) which matches the information from the NLS... but I'm sure ISBNs weren't used on books in the early 1960s and the 1974 date seems to fit in with other titles in Blackwell's 'Learning Library' series.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve
    The answer to your query regarding the history of the ISBN is given elequently on Wikipedia! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isbn
    Normally I'd check the facts but anyone who takes the trouble to explain how the check digit gets allocated deserves praise! I remember as a bookseller learning this and wondering why!! I also remeber that it was early seventies that ISBNs came into their own.
    Thanks again for the blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should have checked but I was in a bit of a hurry.

    Wikipedia does indeed note that the ISBN was created in 1966 so the 1961 date is, presumably, a typo.

    ReplyDelete

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS
Click on the above pic to visit our sister site Bear Alley Books