Friday, October 09, 2026

Comic Cuts — 9 October 2026


It's a big weekend for Bear Alley Books as we head into town for the Colchester Swap Meet. This is the fourth such get-together and I think I enjoy each one more than the last. There's always plenty of lively action at the tables as people dig through boxes looking for bargains and filling gaps in their collections, there are always some interesting guests — Barry Kitson is signing at this year's event — and it's great to meet some of Bear Alley's readers.

I'll be there with the usual bewildering collection of Bear Alley's books, including the latest releases, THE SHRINKER and  SEXTON BLAKE VOLUME 1, and copies of the ACTION: THE SEVENPENNY NIGHTMARE. 

I should have copies of almost 30 different books. Yes, I'm as surprised as you are that Bear Alley has lasted this long and published quite so many books. Actually, there have been more: if you include the FORGOTTEN AUTHORS series (5 volumes to date), THE TRIALS OF HANK JANSON, four SEXTON BLAKE ANNUALs, novel reprints by Gwyn Evans and Andrew Forrester (7 volumes), biographies of Evans and Harry Bensley, the autobiography of John Chisnall, and a couple of books on behalf of other people... that pushes the total to over 50 books.

Not only that, but the Bear Alley blog has been running for over 20 years, with the first post appearing on 15 August 2006.

No wonder I'm exhausted!

Actually, that's partly down to a flu jab, which generally knocks me out for a day and makes my arm ache for two days. Sadly, I don't qualify for a Covid jab this year, so I'll just have to stay indoors and keep working on the next book or two.

This week has been broken up somewhat by preparations for the show, sorting out a correction or two on the second Blake volume and a morning lost to get the flu jab. This seems to be the month for being poked and prodded as I have a bi-annual diabetic eye test and a six-monthly blood test coming up. And I think I'm due a check-up at the dentist. Some of these will have follow-ups next month. Thank Dog we're off to see Mitch Benn (again!) so we at least end of the month on a laugh.

I think that's all the news that's fit to print this week. Hopefully I will see some of you at the Swap Meet. I take cash or credit card!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS
Click on the above pic to visit our sister site Bear Alley Books