Saturday, September 15, 2018

Step Back in Time - Wivenhoe 100 years ago

"Step Back in Time" was a walk along the High Street put on by the Wivenhoe History Group. Various locations were highlighted and little placards offered details about the past history of many of the buildings along the road. The High Street is the heart of the old town, so it included the butchers, bakers, grocers, chemist and everything else you would expect to see that have, for the most part, been replaced by the Co-Op at the top of the High Street.

I took a few snaps as I walked down the road today but, unfortunately, it was mid-day and I found myself shooting into the sun, so I gave up with buildings after a few shots. There were a lot of cars around, too, so I might wait for a quiet Sunday and do a little walking tour of my own.

You can find historical images and a guide and map at the Wivenhoe's History website.

1 comment:

  1. I'm concerned as to the location of Mrs Miggins' Pie Shop: near the pub (from which many a lone traveller has disappeared), next to Blood Alley, and across from the cemetery.

    ReplyDelete

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS
Click on the above pic to visit our sister site Bear Alley Books