Thursday, November 29, 2007

Comic Firsts: Tom Kerr

I've mentioned Tom Kerr previously when a character design by Kerr turned up in Dez Skinn's collection. I said at the time that his earliest known work had appeared in 1949. Since then I've found an earlier piece.

This illustration of various nursery rhyme characters appeared in the Come On Steve Annual, published in October 1947, although the artwork is dated 1946. It's very different in style and tone to the picture stories he was later to draw... a style you can see in Kit Carter's Clarks Commandos. And I'm pleased to announce that, as of tomorrow, Kit Carter returns for another cliff-hanging series of shoe adverts from yesteryear. Meanwhile, if anyone can enlighten me with any more details of Tom Kerr's career beyond what I've already given I would love to know more.

1 comment:

  1. A nice find Steve! Tom's distinctive style was evident even then.

    Lew

    ReplyDelete

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS
Click on the above pic to visit our sister site Bear Alley Books