Tuesday, April 06, 2021

Scrapbook: Hugh Cudlipp, Tom Clarke


I'm still sorting through some old reference books, which will be heading onto eBay next week hopefully. Sometimes I find little scraps tucked into the pages, bookmarks, or even newspaper clippings. Here are a couple I found over the weekend.

First up, an obituary from the Daily Mirror, 18 May 1998. Hugh Cudlipp was editor of that paper for decades. My dad read the Mirror and I did, too, although a lot of that was down to habit and a desire to keep reading Garth, The Perishers, and Jane.

Then there's a smaller obit for Tom Clarke, who edited various papers in the 1920s and 1930s. This I found in his book on Lord Northcliffe, which I'll be selling. Lastly, a rate card from the Sunday Dispatch, dated July 1959. Now you know how much a page of advertising would have cost you.


1 comment:

  1. Hooray! The scrapbook feature is back! Love seeing these titbits as you never know what will turn up!

    ReplyDelete

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS
Click on the above pic to visit our sister site Bear Alley Books