Thursday, July 05, 2018

Comic Cuts - 6 July 2018

I've spent most of the week on rewrites and slowly melting in the heat despite having every door and window in the house open. We haven't hit 30° but have been in the twenties for all but four days. Normally, average high temperatures for June in Colchester are 18° and 9 days with rainfall. This year the top temperature was 28°, an average temperature of 22° and not one drop of rain.

I don't see any rain in the forecast for the next two weeks. Well, a couple of days with between 6 and 9% chance of rain. If that was a horse with 9% chance of winning, you wouldn't bet on it. I'll go out on a limb here and say I don't think we'll see any rain.

This means using washing-up water to water the tomato and cucumber plants. Apparently that's OK as long as you're not transferring bits of food (it rots). Mind you, that would be fine for the colony of woodlice I managed to transfer to our tomatoes. The soil around the roots had been washed away, so I built it up using some soil from last year's tomato pots, which we'd dumped at the far end of the garden. It was still in a clump, so I simply dropped half into each of the pots before breaking it up and watering it ...  and it was at this point that I spotted a zillion (maybe even a gazillion) woodlice crawling out of the old dirt.

It's not the end of the world... well, the rising temperature might be, but I'm talking about woodlice. They like old rotting vegetation and for it to be dark and damp. Fresh fruit isn't their favourite snack, so the tomatoes should survive, but every time I've watered the plants since has driven them to the surface – a boiling sea of woodlice.

Enough of that.

The rewrites are going fine. I haven't found any major problems although I'm wary that the piece of William Willis is going to test the patience of many readers as it involves so many complex court cases. I did cut out a 500-or-so word section that even I thought was an overindulgence, but this is probably going to be the one and only time I write about Willis, so I may as well throw in the kitchen sink. I'm thinking of making this the biggest of the four books, so there will be ample opportunity to take a break and read something shorter and snappier!


As usual, I've binge-watched the latest Netflix Marvel Universe superhero show. I don't know how others rank it, but I think this second season ranks even higher than the first. We're starting to get to know Luke Cage and discovering that being a bulletproof superhero doesn't make you invincible to the day-to-day problems and criticisms you have to face as a human being. Cage is losing his home, his girlfriend and his privacy at the same time as he's battling a foe who has the strength to deliver a knockout blow to the Hero for Hire.

The dynamics between certain characters make the show all the more watchable: Mike Colter (Cage) and his father (played by the late Reg E. Cathey); Alfre Woodard (Mariah) and Theo Rossi (Shades) – a relationship of shimmering tensions; and Simone Missick (Misty) and everyone in the police station.

I can't wait for season 3.  If the second season of Iron Fist improves at the same rate even that might be worth watching when it turns up later this year. The one I'm really waiting on is Daredevil season 3, which is also due this year after a two-year-and-a-bit gap. Then there should be a second Punisher season in 2019.

Together, Mel and I have been watching The Bridge season 4 and we're hooked on the mystery of who is behind the murders – I'm writing this shortly before we watch the final episode and the events at the end of the episode we watched last night seems to have revealed the murderer and a second plotline has been wrapped up... but I reckon there's still at least one major twist to come.

Random scans this week... for some reason these seemed apt.


No comments:

Post a Comment

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS
Click on the above pic to visit our sister site Bear Alley Books