Friday, October 07, 2016

Comic Cuts - 7 October 2016

After a madcap beginning to the week, we managed to get the new issue out on Tuesday, signing off the last pages at 5.00 pm... which isn't bad when you consider that I was writing filler material two hours earlier because we had a couple of holes that needed plugging.

Wednesday morning was given over to another trip to the dentist to check up on the hole in my gum where once there was a tooth. I was surprised to discover I had a new dentist, so we were back to square one with the prodding with pointy things at my teeth and the poking with pointier things at my gums. At best you could say that my teeth are a work in progress. The hole was interesting: they weren't expecting it and even had someone else come in to peer into it. It's healing slowly—it doesn't feel like I've been punched in the jaw, which is how it felt the first two weeks. Now I'm more like a hamster, storing food in its mouth for later. This is not good, they said, so I now have mouthwash and a syringe to do a job that, frankly, I've been doing for the past week with lukewarm coffee. That's not "anti-bacterial" enough, apparently, hence the mouthwash. Just as a precaution, I hasten to add. I'm not full of evil bugs, only friendly bacteria. I'm like a living Yakult advert.

Thursday is our first night out in a while and we're off to see Jo Caulfield. I'm writing this ahead of the gig, so all I can say is that, in my imagination, she was brilliant. Free cakes and nudity didn't sway that opinion. [Update: There was less nudity and no free cakes, but that was made up for by the show being very funny and Jo's attempts at lapdancing.]

Our random scans this week are inspired by a comment I responded to on Facebook about Howard Spring. A hugely popular author in the 1960s and 1970s, he's all but forgotten today. Shabby Tiger was one of those books that you could find in every secondhand bookshop, junkshop and jumble sale in the 1980s. The artwork for all these is by John Rose, who was a very prolific artist for Fontana in the early years.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS
Click on the above pic to visit our sister site Bear Alley Books