Saturday, October 18, 2014

Down at the quay

On Wednesday (15 October 2014), Mel had to travel up to London early in the morning, so I decided to walk with her down to the station and then carry on to the quay. We had walked along the quay ten days earlier in the blazing sunshine; now, it was misty and the sun was barely out and the views took on a hazy, ghostly aspect.

Our favourite boat is the Yoffee. I haven't a clue what the boat was named after: a Google search turns up the Yoffee Coffee house in Airmont, New York, the Yoffee Frozen Yogurt shop in Port Macquarie, NSW, Australia (4 stars on tripadvisor!) and Norman Yoffee, Professor Emeritus of Anthropology and Near Eastern Studies at the University of Michigan, whose career has "oscillated between the fields of Assyriology ... and Anthropology" according to this biography.

 
Not that it matters. It's our favourite because it makes us think of Yoffy, of Fingerbobs fame.

We had walked along West Quay that Sunday as I wanted to try and get a nice shot across the marshy banks of the Colne out towards Rowhedge. The picture below was the best of the bunch and shows you how gorgeous the weather was last month.

Now, early in the morning, I thought it might be fun to try and get a similar shot in the mist.

As I walked along the quay, I spotted the Yoffee and a couple of other boats and took a series of photos that I thought I'd share.

 
 
 
 
 
 
There's something about misty mornings that makes me think back to when I was a kid. I used to look out of my bedroom window across the fields down to the River Chelmer. A low-lying mist over the river always indicated that it was going to be a hot, sunny day. You could guarantee it. Sadly, I don't have any photos from back then—it didn't seem important because all children believe that nothing will ever change. I could only get a half-decent image from Google street view. My bedroom, off to the right in this shot, overlooked the A130 and then over the fields. Unfortunately, this shot is from ground level, so you don't really get the sense of the fields sweeping away. The nearby trees on the grass banks weren't there in my day.

Happy days.


No comments:

Post a Comment

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS
Click on the above pic to visit our sister site Bear Alley Books