Friday, February 07, 2014

Comic Cuts - 7 February 2014


I'm pleased to say that I've been getting some very positive feedback on the new book. I try to not let it go to my head but I'm vain enough to feel a warm glow whenever I hear that someone has enjoyed reading it.

Rather than basking in compliments, I was supposed to be getting back to work on the next book. In the words of teenagers the internet over: Epic fail! Frowny face. I found myself caught up in rewriting an article about queen of gangster fiction Dail Ambler which has more than doubled in length. Add to that the announcement by Findmypast (one of the genealogical websites I use for research) that my subscription now covers their scans of some 200 local newspapers and I haven't had a chance to work on anything else. It's hypnotic: just plugging in names and seeing what comes up in the results. I've had a couple of really good hits already and that was from a random selection of names; once I start working through lists, I'm hopeful that quite a lot of new information is going to pop up.

My utter failure to get the Dail Ambler piece up on Kindle is weighing heavily so I'm working up another piece that, hopefully, I can put up rather more quickly. It relates to publisher Edwin Self and goes into the court case that surrounded his publishing. The original was intended for publication in issue 10 of my old fanzine PBO, which was never published. I will give it the once over and hopefully have it up on Kindle in a couple of days time.

With little news to tell, I'll keep this week's column short and leave you to the next episode of "The Hound of the Baskervilles". In the meantime, here are some SF paperbacks from the early 1950s published by Edwin Self.

 
 
 
Next week: "Hound of the Baskervilles" continues and I'll post whatever else I can find time to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS
Click on the above pic to visit our sister site Bear Alley Books