Monday, June 18, 2012

They Challenged the Giants of the Skies

This week we have a brief strip relating the real-life challenges faced by the R.A.F. when the Zeppelin raids began during World War I. The artwork (although not the cover above) is by Jorge Luis Moliterni, better known in his native Argentina as a Western artist (Watami) and in the US as George Moliterni, who worked for DC  Comics; in the UK his work was almost exclusively related to World War II subjects, including issues of War and Battle picture libraries, although he also drew occasionally for girls' comics. Bizarrely, I always thought of Moliterni as an artist of adventure strips because I first saw his work in Top Secret Picture Library.

Moliterni died young, although there seems to be some question about his age which unfortunately the internet doesn't resolve. My notes give his dates as d.1979 but I have also seen notes online which say he died in 1978; and, just to confuse matters even further, I've also seen his year of birth given as either 1933 or 1939. I'm pretty sure he died on 18 April 1979 but does anyone have some definitive dates for him?

 
(* Artwork © Look and Learn Ltd. Reprinted by permission.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS
Click on the above pic to visit our sister site Bear Alley Books