Friday, May 13, 2022

Comic Cuts — 13 May 2022


Again, this is going to be short as I'm writing this with a deadline hanging around my neck — it's my turn to cook dinner! That's true of most Thursdays, but I'll usually have at least started writing my Friday post in the morning, leaving the hour before dinner to wrap things up, or sort out images. Tonight I'm starting from scratch as I have been cleaning up artwork all day to the exclusion of all else.

It has been a very busy week. The tail end of last week and Saturday was spent on one strip, and I started on another on Sunday. A call from an editor at The Guardian meant that I had to pull an all-nighter, researching and writing an obituary for George Perez, started at 11 o'clock in the evening and 1,800 words later, emailed in at 9 o'clock Monday morning so that it was there when the staff came in. I crashed about an hour later.

Surprisingly, I was back up by 2 o'clock, after four hours sleep, and that was all I needed to get me back onto a proper sleep pattern. In fact, I've probably been sleeping sounder these past few nights than I normally do. Maybe I need to do that every week.


For entertainment we have been watching Moon Knight and enjoying Oscar Isaac's performance greatly. I feel we're getting more out of TV shows than movies these days. I've only seen a couple of really satisfying movies in the past few months, one of them a rewatch of Dune. Most have been at best OK and one was utterly insane (Moonfall) but not to the point where it was compelling... it was just stupid.

TV shows, on the other hand, have been really entertaining, from murder mysteries (Magpie Murders, Murder in Provence, Van Der Valk) to science fiction (Resident Alien, Peacemaker, Raised by Wolves), comedies (mostly panel shows, but also Our Flag Means Death), documentary films (Who Killed the KLF, The Mystery of Marilyn Monroe) and documentaries (Dinosaurs: The Final Day, Dynasties II, Earth's Great Rivers). Just thoroughly entertaining, sometimes thought provoking, and for the most part relaxing after what has been a really busy couple of months.

I wouldn't call my viewing habits challenging. Certainly with films I want to be entertained, but the modern blockbuster is often written to death and even the latest Marvel movies (The Eternals, Morbius) haven't filled me with the joy I was getting from the Captain America, Iron Man and Avengers movies. I'm still looking forward to the new Doctor Strange, although I might have to wait if I'm to hit the next few deadlines.

Talking of which... I'd better finish up or it'll  be a sandwich for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS
Click on the above pic to visit our sister site Bear Alley Books