Thursday, September 06, 2007

Ruby M. Spankie

Talk about obscure: as far as I can tell, Ruby M. Spankie wrote only one novel, and that for a minor paperback firm way back in 1933. While digging around for information on Cora Linda, I thought I'd run a couple of other Gramol authors at the same time. Having an unusual name, Ruby Spankie was one I tried.

It would appear that Ruby Mary Spankie, born in Inverness, Scotland, on 19 October 1898, lived most of her adult life in London. Her mother, Catherine, was widowed at around the age of 41 or 42 and raised her children -- of which there were at least seven -- in Bedford. Catherine Spankie seems to have lived in India for at least a decade between 1886-96

Ruby was the author of And the World Said-- (London, Gramol Publications [Adelphi Novels 35], 1933). Whether she continued writing or not is a mystery. A search for her name on Google doesn't get a single hit.

Ruby lived in Fulham after the war and was at the same address, 64c Fairholme Road, W14, from 1945 until her death in 1983.

4 comments:

  1. Hello,

    Ruby is buried in Mortlake Cemetery, I took a photograph of her gravestone as her name was so unusual.

    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, me again - correction - Ruby is buried in North Sheen Cemetery (next to Mortlake). I have a photograph of the grave but don't think I can upload it here. I ill upload it onto my blogsite so you can have a look (if you are interested).

    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruby was a lifelong friend of my mother. I have (somewhere)a photograph of them sitting together in a classroom as schoolgirls. Both instantly recognisable as the adults I knew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you care to share any further memories of Ruby, they would be most welcome. As you can see from the above, I wasn't able to find out much about her. If you prefer, you can write directly at the address below the photo (top left of the page).

      Delete

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS
Click on the above pic to visit our sister site Bear Alley Books