Click on the above pic to visit our sister site Bear Alley Books

Monday, November 14, 2016

Mrs Frances Campbell part 4

This episode is something of a postscript to our journey to date through the life of Mrs. Frances Vivian Campbell. During her lifetime she made various claims of how she was related to various people, most notably the Duke of Argyll. There is some evidence that they were related, although I've yet to discover at what distance.

However, given that Mrs. Campbell lived for some while in 1901 with a Jessie Campbell, it is worth seeing how they are related.

Mrs. Campbell was married to Howard Douglas Campbell, son of Captain Howard Douglas Campbell (1821-1857) of the 78th Highlanders. He was the younger brother of Donald Cochrane Campbell, M.D. (1819-1884) who was married to Jessie Euphremia Copland (1834-1909), the daughter of Charles Copland (sometimes spelled Copeland). They were, in fact, married twice: on 6 March 1853 at Old Machar, Aberdeen, Scotland, and again on 15 March 1853 in Monkstown, Dublin, Ireland.

Donald Cochrane Campbell had a number of children, as far as I can trace:
  (1) Donald Campbell (1854- ), who married Ada Johnston;
  (2) Annie McLeod Campbell (1857?-1884), who married George Kenrick Moore, youngest surviving son of William Moore, Esq., Moore Fort, Country Antrim, on 20 June 1882 at Westminster;
  (3) Charles Copland Campbell (1859-1880);
  (4) Euphemia Isabella Campbell (1861-1884);
  (5) Jessie Malvenia Campbell (1865?-1917).

It is the last of these that we are interested in. Donald Cochrane Campbell was a well-respected doctor who worked for many years as Superintendent of the County Lunatic Asylum at Brentwood, Essex, an appointment he had held since the Asylum opened in September 1853. He had previously been a superintendent of an asylum in Scotland.

Campbell's family life was rather tragic. His son Charles died at Port Stanley, South Africa, of typhoid fever on 10 April 1880 at the age of 20. Campbell was particularly struck by the death, after a short illness, of his daughter, Euphemia, in April 1884; already having suffered from ill-health for two or three years, more or less confined to his room from the previous September, his workload taken on by the senior medical assistant Mr. G. Amsden, who also attended him. Her death had a depressing effect on him and he was too ill to attend her funeral. He went to Hastings for a change of air, but after three months returned, his health no better. He died on 8 August 1884.

Within a matter of months, his daughter, Annie McLeod Campbell, was also dead. She was living with her husband, a captain in the Army Pay Department stationed at Barracks at Brecon, Brecknock, where she died on 7 December 1884, aged 27. She was survived by her husband and a daughter, Jessie Mary Shuldham Hill Moore, born on 5 November 1883 and baptized at St. Mary, Brecon, on 6 December 1883.

It was Jessie who travelled with Mrs. Frances Campbell and her daughter Phyllis to the Mediterranean in 1912 which resulted in the court case. Jessie's father, George Kenrick Moore, continued to serve in the army, eventually gaining the rank of Major before he died in Hong Kong on 20 October 1896, aged 39. Jessie, moved in with Donald Cochrane Campbell's widow, also Jessie, who was living in Sussex in the 1890s but had moved to 31 Lammas Park Road, Ealing by 1901, where the house was shared with Jessie's youngest daughter (yet another Jessie) and with Frances Campbell, her niece, who had been living in England for a year and who had just lost her husband to suicide.

Jessie Euphremia Campbell died in 1909 and her daughter, Jessie Malvenia Campbell, moved to Toot Hill, Ongar, with Jessie Mary Moore in tow. Jessie Malvenia died in 1917, a year after Jessie Mary married George Phillips Voss. The only notable thing I've found about the Voss family is that they had twins born on 17 July 1921, which George Voss , a solicitor's managing clerk, tried to claim upon in his tax returns, arguing that the children were 'living' at the beginning of the tax year on 6 April, although not yet 'born'. The case went before the King's Bench Division where Mr. Justice Rowlatt found in favour of H.M. Inspector of Taxes, W. S. Jackson. Jessie Mary Voss eventually died in 1953.

I'll leave you with one final note. The Queensland State Archives hold numerous passenger records that have been digitized in recent years. As Mrs. Frances Campbell spent eleven years of her life in Queensland, one might expect her to show up in the Registers of Immigrant Ships' Arrivals. And maybe she does, under the name Frances Morgan who, aged 26, sailed from London on 25 August 1888 and arrived in Brisbane aboard the Jumna on 13 October 1888, just in time for the marriage of "Frances Cyril Vivian Dean Morgan" to Howard Douglas Campbell on 30 October 1888.

The passenger record does not give a great deal of information, but it does give the country or county of origin for the passengers, which in Frances Morgan's case is County Down, in Ireland. As, according to her 1911 census return, Mrs. Campbell was uncertain of her place of birth, we cannot rule out Frances Morgan. And a birth around 1861/62 appears far more likely as it narrows a rather wide difference in the ages between Frances and her husband, who was born in 1853.

In the absence of any other evidence, I'm very tempted to say that Mrs. Campbell was born in c.1862, not, as she later claimed, in c.1871 or c.1874.

No comments: