Saturday, November 05, 2011

Arthur Ranson - illustrations

Arthur Ranson - one of my favourite comic strip artists - was also an occasional illustrator. I knew that he had drawn a single comic strip for Look and Learn in 1979, 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame', which we ran here on Bear Alley back in May 2009, but, during a recent trawl of the magazine, I spotted a couple of articles he had illustrated and thought I'd share them with you. The first, about Stonehenge, dates from 29 April 1978, the second from 21 July 1979. Arthur's terrific 'Mazeworld' series from 2000AD is just about to be reprinted in a bumper colour omnibus edition from Rebellion. Well worth picking up!

(* Artwork © Look and Learn Ltd. Reprinted by permission.)

3 comments:

  1. What a similar name to Arthur Ransome! (Author of the 12 books in the Swallows and Amazons series.) I wonder if there was much confusion as they operated in the same era.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike,

    Are you perhaps thinking of the illustrator Arthur Rackham? Ransome (of Swallows and Amazons fame) died in 1967, a few years before Ranson (of Look-In, Psi Judge Anderson, Button Man and Mazeworld fame) started working in comics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I just hadn't realised taht Arthur Ransom was as young (ish) as he is - I thought he was more the age of Gerry Embleton. I've seen quite a lot of his 2000AD work - Cass Anderson & Button Man especially & they're very good indeed.

    ReplyDelete

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS
Click on the above pic to visit our sister site Bear Alley Books