BEAR ALLEY BOOKS

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS
Click on the above pic to visit our sister site Bear Alley Books

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Eric Frank Russell cover gallery

Eric Frank Russell

The first science fiction story that really had an impact on me was Eric Frank Russell's 'Alamagoosa' which I remember reading when I was about 12 years old, a fabulous and hilarious story that looses nothing however many times I read it. Russell published far too little and there's a fair amount of work that remains uncollected—I'd love to do a volume of 'The Early Eric Frank Russell', for instance, to rescue a few of his pre-1950s tales that have never reappeared. They're mostly of archaeological interest only, but I still think it would make a nice collection. Indeed, he's one author I'd love to have a set of 'Complete Stories of...' volumes for on my shelves. Maybe... one day...

NOVELS

Sinister Barrier (in Unknown Worlds, 1939). Kingswood, Surrey, World’s Work, 1943; revised, Reading, Penn., Fantasy Press, 1948; London, Dobson, 1967.

Dreadful Sanctuary. Reading, Penn., Fantasy Press, 1948; London, Museum Press, 1953; revised, New York, Paperback Library, 1963; London, New English Library, 1967.

Sentinels From Space (as The Star Watchers, in Startling Stories, 1951). New York, Bouregy Curl, 1953; London, Museum, 1954; as Sentinels of Space, New York, Ace, 1954.

Three to Conquer (as Call Him Dead in Astounding Science Fiction, 1955). New York, Avalon, 1956; London, Dobson, 1957.

Wasp. New York, Avalon, 1957; expanded (or unabridged?), London, Dobson, 1958.


The Space Willies (based on the story Plus X). New York, Ace, 1958; unabridged edition, as Next of Kin, London, Dobson, 1959; edited & abridged, University of London Press (Pilot Books 44), 1964.

The Great Explosion (incorporates the story ...And Then There Were None). London, Dobson, 1962; New York, Dodd, Mead & Co., 1962.

With a Strange Device. London, Dobson, 1964; as The Mind Warpers, New York, Lancer, 1965.

Design for Great-Day, with Alan Dean Foster. New York, Tor Books, 1995.

OMNIBUS

Entities: The Selected Short Novels of Eric Frank Russell (contains, Wasp; Sentinels from Space; Call Him Dead; Next of Kin; Sinister Barrier; Legwork; Mana; The Mechanical Mice). NESFA Press, Sep 2001.

COLLECTIONS

Deep Space. New York, Fantasy Press, 1954; London, Eyre Spottiswoode, 1956; also with one story omitted, New York, Bantam, 1955
(contains: First Person—Singular; The Witness; Last Blast; Homo Saps; The Timid Tiger; A Little Oil; Rainbows End; The Undecided; Second Genesis. NOTE: First Person—Singular omitted from some editions)

Men, Martians and Machines. London, Dobson, 1955; New York, Roy, 1956
(contains: Jay Score; Mechanistra; Symbiotica; Mesmerica)

Six Worlds Yonder. New York, Ace, 1958
(contains: The Waitabits; Tieline; Top Secret; Nothing New; Into Your Tent I’ll Creep; Diabologic)

Far Stars. London, Dobson, 1961
(contains: The Waitabits; P.S.; Allamagoosa; Legwork; Diabologic; The Timeless Ones)

Dark Tides. London, Dobson, 1962
(contains: The Sin of Hyacinth Peuch; With a Blunt Instrument; A Matter of Instinct; I’m a Stranger Here Myself; This Ones On Me; I Hear You Calling; Wisel The Ponderer; Sole Solution; Rhythm of the Rats; Me and My Shadow; Bitter End)

Somewhere a Voice. London, Dobson, 1965; New York, Ace, 1966
(contains: Somewhere A Voice; U-Turn; Seat of Oblivion; Tieline; Displaced Person; Dear Devil; I Am Nothing)

Like Nothing On Earth. London, Dobson, 1975
(contains: Allamagoosa; Hobbyist; The Mechanical Mice; Into Your Tent Ill Creep; Nothing New; Exposure; Ultima Thule)

The Best of Eric Frank Russell, introduced by Alan Dean Foster. New York, Ballentine, 1978.
(contains: Mana; Jay Score; Homo Saps; Metamorphosite; Hobbyist; Late Night Final; Dear Devil; Fast Falls the Eventide; I Am Nothing; Weak Spot; Alamagoosa; Into Your Tent Ill Creep; Study In Still Life (n-f))

Major Ingredients, ed. Rick Katze. Framingham, MA, NESFA Press, Sep 2000.
(contains: Editor’s Introduction (by Rick Katze); Eric Frank Russell (by Jack L. Chalker); Allamagoosa; …And Then There Were None; The Army Comes to Venus; Basic Right; Dear Devil; Diabologic; Fast Falls the Eventide; Hobbyist; Homo Saps; I Am Nothing; Into Your Tent I’ll Creep; Jay Score; Last Blast; Late Night Final; A Little Oil; Meeting on Kangshan; Metamorphosite; Minor Ingredient; Now Inhale; Nuisance Value; Panic Button; Plus X; Study in Still Life; Tieline; The Timid Tiger; Top Secret; The Ultimate Invader; The Undecided; U-Turn; The Waitabits; The Man Who (Almost) Never Was (by Mike Resnick))

NON-FICTION

Great World Mysteries. London: Dobson, 1957; New York: Roy, 1957

The Rabble Rousers. Evanstown, Ill.: Regency, 1963.

The ABZ of Scouse: How to Talk Proper in Liverpool Vol. 2 (as Linacre Lane). Liverpool, Scouse Press, 1966.

(* That last one really is Eric Frank Russell writing in the guise of Linacre Lane, Bachelor of Scouse; I believe it only came to light when some of Russell's papers were donated to the Science Fiction Foundation by his daughter in 1994.)

6 comments:

Richard Starkings said...

My brother had LERN YERSELF SCOUSE -- it was hilarious -- I even put a line from it into a recent issue of ELEPHANTMEN -- "I'm sweating like a glassblower's arse!" Translation: "I am perspiring profusely."

Rich!

Phil Rushton said...

That's odd. 'Alamagoosa' was my first too - converting me overnight from a hardened Enid Blyton fanatic to a neophyte SF fan! Before that it never even occurred to me that there might be books in the 'Grown Up Library' that I would enjoy.

- Phil Rushton

Steve said...

I'd read science fiction before 'Alamagoosa'—the first would probably have been one of the Dr. Palfrey/Department Z5 global catastrophe novels by John Creasey as my Dad was a big fan of Creasey and his books were always laying around. The first SF I remember actively seeking out was the Star Trek adaptations by James Blish and some of the Edgar Rice Burroughs Mars and Venus novels (which had naked/semi-naked women on the covers).

But reading Tom Boardman's Connoisseur's Science Fiction anthology and the reprints of Arthur C. Clarke's stories that appeared in Speed & Power (which began publishing a couple of weeks before my 12th birthday) was the real turning point.

obiewahn said...

My favourite author and I suspect many others SF fans as well. I think he achieved his stated ambition 'to entertain so many readers so well that some may have a momentary regret when they bury me'. I loved his gentle humour and quirky story lines.
I have managed to have pretty much obtained a 'Complete Stories of ...' collection now including stuff from pulps, fanzines and photo copies from the Liverpool and Leeds university archives. But I still look out for more!

chris kinakaid said...

There is a new biography of Russell just published (2010) called Into Your Tent with a Foreward by Alan Dean Foster.

Listed on Amazon.co.uk

Steve said...

Thanks Chris,

For anyone looking for a copy of Into Your Tent: The Life and Work and Family Background of Eric Frank Russell by John L. Ingham it's available from Amazon here