Saturday, January 12, 2008

Back to freelancing...

I first heard of the revival of Look and Learn back in February 2005 and joined the company (LLM) full time in October of that year. Sadly, my work for LLM is coming to an end and I'll be freelancing again from February. I'd be fibbing if I said I wasn't going to miss the work; I've enjoyed the last couple of years enormously and the job title 'Archivist' covered everything from writing metadata for the Look and Learn website's picture gallery to helping negotiate the purchase of various titles from IPC Media. I've had a whale of a time and the financial stability the job offered was bliss after a couple of years of juggling bills and chasing cheques.

But the work was always going to run out eventually and that moment has come. It doesn't end my relationship with LLM and opens up a couple of possibilities that I'll talk about at a later date once they've stopped being vague and wispy notions and have turned into something more solid.

I'll be taking on a couple of editorial jobs that will keep me busy for a while once the month is out and I'm still working on a number of books, so I'm not going to be immediately destitute. Nor am I dropping Bear Alley. I like having my own little corner of the world wide web to chat about things that interest me -- mostly old books, magazines and comics, you might have noticed; they've interested me for thirty years and they still surprise, delight and entertain me, as does researching them. I'm hopeful that, with some time to hand, I'll be able to put some of that research into order and let it loose onto the world in some form or other.

One door shuts, another door opens, as they say.

3 comments:

  1. Best of luck for the future,Steve!Don't forget the Index series.I will help promote the hell out of them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your work on the L&L site Steve. It is one of the best sites on the Internet.

    I learnt to read thanks to the nursery comics in the 60's and have amassed a good collection of them as well as Look & Learn thanks to the wonder that is e-bay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the compliment. I'd love to take sole credit for the L&L website but it's a team effort and I've only been one of the cogs involved in getting it up and running. I have to agree that it's one of the best sites around. You won't find any false modesty here!

    ReplyDelete

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS
Click on the above pic to visit our sister site Bear Alley Books